ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3 | 30 Important Questions for ESIC UDC Exam on 19 April – ESIC UDC Exam will be held on 19 March 2022. Employees State Insurance Corporation is conducting Examination for the Upper Division Clerk (UDC). Recently ESIC Released Admit Card for UDC and Stenographer Exam. Candidates should download their admit card Before the Downloading window closes.
In this ‘ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3’ we have shared 30 Important Questions of English Comprehension for the upcoming ESIC Upper Division Clerk Exam on 19 March 2022. Candidates who are going to participate in this exam should read all these 30 questions before attending the exam.
Note – Answers for following questions given at the end of this post. You can check out Answers according to question numbers.
Table of Contents
ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3
Directions (Q. Nos. 1 and 2) Choose the opposite word in meaning to the given word.
Q 1. STERILE
- (a) Dense
- (b) Fertile
- (c) Barren
- (d) Infertile
Q 2. PRUDENT
- (a) Careless
- (b) Miserly
- (c) Foolish
- (d) Strange
Directions (Q. Nos. 3 and 4) Choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences.
Q 3. Introductory part or lines to a discourse or play.
- (a) Blurb
- (b) Monologue
- (c) Epilogue
- (d) Prologue
Q 4. A cinema show held in the afternoon.
- (a) Play
- (b) Premiere
- (c) Epilogue
- (d) Matinee
Directions (Q. Nos. 5 and 6) Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option.
Q 5. Everyday we hear about (a)/ senior citizens being robbed (b)/ and even kill in cold blood. (c)/ No error (d)
Q 6. People are wanting (a)/ to see the home team (b)/win the game. (c)/ No error(d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 7 and 8) Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word.
Q 7. …… man standing in that corner is a police man in plain clothes.
- (a) some
- (b) Any
- (c) A
- (d) The
Q 8. Why are you always so suspicious …… me?
- (a) to
- (b) with
- (c) of
- (d) for
Directions (Q. Nos. 9 and 10) Improve the underlined part of the given sentence with the help of given alternatives.
Q 9. I have been to a few of his talks but understood little of what he had said.
- (a) little of what he said
- (b) a little of what he has said
- (c) little of what he has talked
- (d) No improvement
Q 10. I welcome all the delegates on behalf of ABC Corporation.
- (a) on the account of
- (b) on the parts of
- (c) for
- (d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 11 and 12) In the following questions, four words are given out of which one word is correctly spelt. Select the correctly spelt word.
- (a) Mutiniers
- (b) Muteneers
- (c) Muteniers
- (d) Mutineers
- (a) Obeisance
- (b) Obeisanse
- (c) Obesance
- (d) Obesanse
Directions (Q. Nos. 13 and 14) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
Q 13. Keep body and soul together
- (a) maintain his health
- (b) continue with his work
- (c) to have just enough to sustain
- (d) be physical and spiritual
Q 14. Palm off
- (a) clearly visible
- (b) uneasy with something
- (c) to dispose off with the intent to deceive
- (d) conceal
Directions (Q. Nos. 15 and 16) Choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Q 15. JEALOUS
- (a) Proud
- (b) Envious
- (c) Greedy
- (d) Lustful
Q 16. QUEST
- (a) Trial
- (b) Test
- (c) Search
- (d) Decision
Directions (Q. Nos. 17 and 18) A sentence has been given Direct/Indirect. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct.
Q 17. The peon said to this officer, ‘‘Please forgive me’’.
- (a) The peon requested his officer that he forgive him.
- (b) The peon requested his officer to forgive him.
- (c) The peon said to his officer that he should forgive him.
- (d) The peon told his officer please forgive him.
Q 18. My brother told me that he would buy me a notepad the next day.
- (a) My brother said to me, ‘‘I will be buying you a notepad tomorrow’’
- (b) My brother said to me, ‘‘I would buy you a notepad tomorrow’’.
- (c) My brother said to me, ‘‘I shall buy you a notepad tomorrow’’.
- (d) My brother said to me, ‘‘I am going to buy you a notepad tomorrow’’.
Directions (Q. Nos. 19 and 20) A sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
Q 19. Take the medicine.
- (a) You are requested to take the medicine
- (b) Let the medicine be taken
- (c) The medicine must take you
- (d) The medicine is to be taken by you
Q 20. I cannot trust him any more.
- (a) He cannot be trusted by me any more
- (b) He could not be trusted by me any more
- (c) He may not be trusted by me any more
- (d) He cannot trust by me any more
Directions (Q. Nos. 21-25) A passage is given with 5 questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternatives.
Without breakfast, all of us-irrespective of age are likely to experience the late morning slump; tiredness, sleepiness and the urge to sit back. Our efficiency goes down further as the day progresses. Moreover, skipping the first meal of the day leads to intense hunger pangs by late morning and we end up eating chips, samosas, burgers or other high-fat unhealthy foods. Breakfast-skippers are more likely to be overweight. A good breakfast leads to a more active, productive day. Research has found a definite connection between skipping breakfast and memory impairment in both young and older adults. Moreover, breakfast is directly linked with performance in school and college. Breakfast should contribute at least one fourth of our daily requirement of nutrients. An ideal breakfast should contain adequate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins and fats in addition to minerals and vitamins. Essentially, this means including most of our food groups in the morning meal. Whole grain cereals-like atta in parathas and puris dalia, suji, etc. are an integral part of the traditional Indian breakfast. Their high fibre and protein content provides a feeling of satisfaction, which lowers the urge to snack before lunch. On the other hand, high-sugar foods actually make people sleepier, not active. Milk, cheese, eggs or dals (as sprouts in idli or dosas or as sambhar) are other protein sources. A serving of milk (one cup) provides B-Complex vitamins and also minerals like zinc, magnesium and calcium. Fruits or vegetables provide valuable vitamin C and keep constipation away.
Q 21. We experience sleepiness in the morning because
- (a) we eat breakfast
- (b) we skip breakfast
- (c) efficiency goes down
- (d) we feel tired and sleepy
Q 22. We eat unhealthy food when
- (a) we suffer from hunger
- (b) we have become over-weight
- (c) we have skipped the first meal
- (d) we love chips, burgers, etc.
Q 23. A good breakfast
- (a) keeps you active
- (b) causes memory loss
- (c) boosts performance
- (d) keeps you active; boosts performance
Q 24. An ideal breakfast should contain
- (a) carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals and vitamins
- (b) some food groups
- (c) only high fibre and protein
- (d) food of our choice
Q 25. Breakfast is a satisfying when
- (a) it is rich in fatty foods
- (b) It contains high protein and fibre content
- (c) it is rich in carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- (d) we eat to our heart’s content
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-30) A passage is given with 5 questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each questions out of the four alternatives
Until he was ten, young Alexander Fleming attended the nearby Loudoun Moor School. He was then transferred to Darvel School which he attended with his brothers. Alexander learned a good deal about nature during that four mile downhill hike to school and the four mile uphill return trip. He was a quick student and at twelve, the age limit prescribed for Darvel school, he was sent to Kilmarmock Academy. Two years later he joined his brothers John and Robert at the home of his elder brother Thomas, who was to become a successful occultist in London. However, the economic success of the family was yet to be and Alexander was forced to leave school for economic reasons. When he was sixteen, he obtained a job in a shipping company. Good fortune, however, was on his side and on the side of humanity. In 1901, he received a share in a legacy which made it possible for him to return to school. He decided to study medicine.
Q 26. Alexander trekked ……… miles every day to attend Darvel school.
- (a) four
- (b) eight
- (c) twelve
- (d) sixteen
27. He was a ‘quick student’ means that Alexander
- (a) reached school before his brothers
- (b) was a lively student
- (c) ran the races
- (d) was a fast learner
28. ‘‘…… and at twelve, the age limit prescribed for Darvel school … ‘‘in this context means that children were
- (a) admitted to school at the age of twelve
- (b) allowed to remain in the school only up to the age of twelve
- (c) admitted to the school any time after the age of twelve
- (d) not admitted to the school before they were twelve
Q 29. Alexander became well off
- (a) by working in shipping company
- (b) when his brother became a successful occultist
- (b) because he studied medicine
- (d) by receiving a share in a legacy
Q 30. Alexander left school
- (a) to study economics
- (b) to work with his brother
- (c) to study medicine
- (d) due to financial problems
Answer Key – ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3
1. (b) 2. (c) 3. (d) 4. (d) 5. (c) 6. (a) 7. (d) 8. (c) 9. (a) 10. (d) 11. (d) 12. (a) 13. (c) 14. (c) 15. (b) 16. (c) 17. (b) 18. (c) 19. (b) 20. (a) 21. (b) 22. (c) 23. (d) 24. (a) 25. (b) 26. (b) 27. (d) 28. (b) 29. (d) 30. (d)
ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3 – Disclaimer
The questions and answers of ESIC UDC Exam English Comprehension Quiz 3 shared above have been given for the purpose of education. If any type of error is found in the questions. Then you can get them corrected by talking to our WhatsApp group administrator. We do not take any guarantee that all or any of these questions will come in the ESIC recruitment exam or not.
इसी तरह सभी Govt Exams के Quiz/प्रशन और Study Material पाने के लिए हमारे WhatsApp और Telegram Channel को ज्वाइन करे.